Its getting better everyday..

Saturday, March 10, 2007

waiters

Ever since I have gone to a restraunt in any place, have I been thinking of the issues that our restaurants face on daily basis. To a naive goer who doesnt want too much from the waiters, Indian restaurants are ok. But to a regular food-kid, whose faces starts getting blue on the non availability of a good food , they are far from being ok.

To say the least, our restaurants lack basic understanding skills. I have tried them all and have a basic curiosity left in me to try the rich one, basically the likes of Taj,Maurya sheraton, hilton, so on and so forth to check whether at least are fine? . It starts with attending the customer with a smiling face rather than frowning at their GFs. Everywhere these waitors cant hide their basic feelings which can be detrimental to their life , if some D gang member enters the door.

Secondly, I dont know why the waiters need to be told in every T minutes about the water levels in the glass the customers hold. The value of T can depend on anything and everything like their mood, number of people influxing the place and who knows, may be the temparature outside the place. Excuse me ! I am not supposed to prompt them everytime the glass gets empty. This is for them to monitor. Correct me if I am wrong. Everytime I go to a restaurant I have to tell the waitor about monitoring the level of water in the glass. I dont know, why they cant do that without being asked for. Is the lack of education responsible for that? May be thats why Hotel management schools are opened.

Is it too much of asking for? I suppose not. And as shahrukh khan 'd say "boyz and girlz", this is not the scenario at an average restaurant. Its the same story everywhere, at least in Bhubaneswar. Be it a 3 star or 4 star. According to me, this comes under the basic etiquettes of the waiters to understand that customers cannot raise his glass everytime to express his thirst. Had that been so, he'd have had the dinner at his home. Its because he wants to eat without tension, he craves for going to a decent restaurant where, the otherwise tensions of good eating will be supposedly taken care of.

Once I was out with my Mom to a supposedly good restaurant where something similar happened. My mom being not that good observer, while going out said a word of praise to the waiter head( as he sounded to be ) for the otherwise lucrative facilities available. This entailed a feedback form from his side, to be filled seriously(according to my mom). I filled it seriously and gave a speech at the end of day to tell him of the shortcomings in the attitude of the behavior of the waiters.

Its even more important for the A league hotels to understand this in this edge of globalization and liberalization in that a little smirk on their face can send a negative message to the clients.

I guess, its high time for the restaurant managers to understand that the "wall hanging TV" doesnt make a good impact unless the basic service is perfect.

Still, when the stomach craves for food, I crave for the same old avenue of the "yet to learn waiters" 's restaurant.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hi ayush ...i read almost all ur blogs....(except 2-3..skipping things is my old habit...i cant help)....i liked this one.....
as it showed ur thirst not for water but for the owners to hv their guys well trained about how to serve n take care of customers especially wen it comes to be Ayush Biyani kind of..... :)....keep scraping and do remind me time to time for comments....although i already mentioned skipping is my old habit...i need to improve on it....

12:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home